Friday, May 29, 2009

Farewell to "The Urban Forester"






Steve Sandfort at the final broadcast of Free Advice at WMUB February 26, 2009 and with WMUB General Manager Cleve Callison during the show's very first broadcast in September 2002.


A dear friend and treasured colleague has passed on. The Cincinnati Enquirer obituary listings of Friday May 29, 2009 marked the passing of Steve Sandfort, former Director of the Office of Urban Forestry for the City of Cincinnati and more recently a consultant with the Hamitlon County Soil and Water Conservation District.

Steve apparently died suddenly Saturday May 23rd. At his request, no services were held. Knowing Steve, he didn't want to trouble anyone and would want us to remember him as we knew him, a big man with an even bigger heart.

I'm practically at a loss for words since I am in shock and deeply saddened by Steve's passing. My former WVXU colleague Mike Martini, now with WMKV, has written a very fitting tribute to Steve in his blog at Cincinnati.com. You should be able access it via the link below:

Mike Martini's Blog Entry on Cincinnati.com

Steve was a frequent guest on my program "Free Advice" at WMUB over the past 8 years or so. In fact, he was the very first guest when we launched the show and was on the air at least four times every year. We also called on him following ice storms and events such as last September's wind storm for special call-in shows and news stories.

For those who've never heard him, here are links to audio from his last show on January 29, 2009:

Segment 1

Segment 2

Segment 3

Segment 4

Steve was also among the guests on the final edition of "Free Advice" in which I had invited all our "guest experts" to participate on February 26, 2009.

If there is some interest, I'll post links to that show here as well.

For now, rest in peace, my friend and thanks for the smiles and belly laughs you brought into my life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi John, I appreciate you posting this blog. I pick up your posting this morning while reading my "urban forestry" news feeds.

As you know Steve practiced urban forestry here in GA earlier in his career, and still has many frends here. I have begun to circulate your posting to spread the news here of Steve's sudden passing.

Ed Macie, US Forest Service, Atlanta, GA

Anonymous said...

Hi John,

Melinda Sandfort here, Steve's daughter. I wanted to thank you so much for taking the time to post this blog about my Dad. I guess during the last few months, Ive been trying to hold on to anything I can of "him" and to be able to hear his voice, talking about trees, is really special. I miss him with all my heart. Thank you. ~"Mindy"