Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Awards Just Keep on Coming!

The former staff of WMUB won a total of seven awards presented by the Public Radio News Directors Inc. presented June 13, 2009 in Portland, Oregon.

These were in Division C, given to organizations with 1 or 2 full-time news staff. Prior to the transfer of operations to Cincinnati Public Radio, WMUB had two full-time news people, Gary Scott & Tana Weingartner, plus Cheri Lawson working part-time as Morning Edition anchor and reporter as well as numerous students.

These awards follow the announcement earlier this month of 11 awards for the former WMUB staff from the Ohio Associated Press. (see my previous blog posting about the AP Awards)


Division C

Best Writing
Second Place
WMUB - FM
“Threshold Choir #2”
(produced by Cheri Lawson)

First Place
WMUB - FM
“Fast Fungi”
(produced by Tana Weingartner)


Breaking News
First Place
WMUB - FM
“Windstorm Aftermath”
(Gary Scott & Tana Weingartner)

Commentary
First Place
WMUB - FM
“Purple Haze”
(Commentator Jennie Kiffmeyer)

Soft Feature
First Place
WMUB - FM
“Threshold Choir #1”
(Cheri Lawson)

Spot News
Second Place
WMUB - FM
“Palin in West Chester”
(Tana Weingartner)


First Place
WMUB - FM
“Student Protest”
(Gary Scott)

1 comment:

J. Moses said...

John,

Thanks for your comments. And believe me when I say, I plan to keep Tri-State Media Watch up and running as long as possible. The day I can no longer contribute anything to free journalism is the day I'll shut it down.

And you're right about one thing. I don't have the resources that John Kiesewetter does (although, I do have a list of contacts at local TV stations that Elliot Block was kind enough to supply me after initially blasting the living daylights out of me in an email to one of my readers). What I do have, are good readers, and at least some cooperation at local stations such as WCPO and WKRC. (So far, WXIX hasn't yet cooperated as well. I'm hoping this changes.)

Look at it this way: As journalists, every one of us is in this thing together. I do consider myself to be an alternative to JK and the Enquirer - but right now, I doubt I could replace him as the premier source of news about local TV and radio. If that ever happens, of course I'll take it - but I don't see it happening for awhile.

Sincerely,

Jeremy